I confess! I am a “prawn addict.” Lol not really but who doesn’t love a fresh and crisp salad with a ‘lil some some on the side?
After a quick workout and a dash to borough market (they’ve always got pretty fresh food there), I settled for these bad boys. Now I love them several ways but I think I prefer them the way they are cooked back home; seasoned within an inch of their lives and grilled on skewers.
Grilling in my kitchen when I don’t have a garden so I can be outdoors, is a pain in the butt. The smoke from the grill is just not worth it – electric ovens.
So I “Wok-it.”
For the salad
- A pack of Romaine Lettuce 🥬 (or any of your choice)
- 1 Red onion 🧅
- 1 Tomato 🍅
- 1 Chilli 🌶
- 1 Ball pepper
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
For the Prawns
- Salt and Pepper
- Chilli Bamboo shoots
- Mushrooms 🍄
- This dish is more prep than cooking so I tend to wash my prawns and leave the shells on. Next I season them and let them marinate for just about 15 to 30mins. As much as I love the simple taste of prawns I appreciate it more when its got different flavours every now and then. Salt and pepper to taste and a tiny drizzle of olive oil just to coat in the seasoning. This is just so I can fry them without much extra oil.
- Chop up or mince garlic and set aside for when you are ready to cook the prawns
- On to the salad. Prep the lettuce leaves by washing them. You can use them whole or chop into whatever size suits. It is entirely up to you and you get to have fun with it. Don’t wring the leaves after you have washed them. Just shake off the water or pat the leaves dry with a clean cloth.
- Cut the tomato, red onion, ball pepper and radish in whatever shapes you prefer, length wise, cubed, etc. Again have fun with it.
- De-seed your chilli if you you are not comfortable with the heat. Otherwise, chop away and add your ingredients into a pan.
- Mix these all and set aside.
- Heat up your wok or pan at high heat and pop in these prawns together with the garlic (and mushrooms if you used these) for about 4-5 minutes, stirring throughout. Add an extra minute if you feel like it. I like a crisp finish from the shells.
- Now, I had chilli bamboo shoots (from Oseyo Eats), chilling in the fridge. Since my next noodle dish had not yet been decided, I had to use these. Once I got the prawns out of the wok, I tossed in the chilli bamboo shoots. They are already covered in chilli oil and give off a nice aroma. 2 – 3 minutes should do the trick.
Once you are done cooking, plate your dish. Have fun and serve this however way you feel like.
Place the lettuce leaves on a plate. Add the rest of your prepped veg, prawn, bamboo shoots and enjoy.
Let me know if you tried this dish and share what other tricks you add in.
XoXo CC 💖